- 1 Cup Urad Dal – Split Black Gram
- 1 Cup White Rice
- 1/4 Cup Quinoa
- 1/4 Cup Oats
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Flaxseeds – Milled
- 1 Tablespoon Chana Dal – Split Bengal Gram
- 1 Teaspoon Pink Salt – Or to taste
- 1 Pinch Baking Soda – Optional
Soak the urad dal, brown rice, quinoa, oats, fenugreek seeds, flaxseeds and chana dal for 8-12 hours overnight.
Drain the mix and transfer to a blender. Add ½ cup of fresh water, baking soda, pink salt and blend. Optionally you could also add a little garlic and red chilli. You may need to add water again if it’s too thick or as per your preference.
Batter is ready. Heat your tava with 1 teaspoon olive oil / coconut oil / sesame oil / ghee and some onions.
Make 2 medium sized dosas or idlis.
Ragi Rava Upma
- 1 cup ragi (nachni / red millet) flour
- 1/2 cup semolina (rava / sooji)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarson)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 to 3 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For ragi rava upma
1. To make ragi rava upma, dry roast the ragi flour and semolina in a broad non-stick kadhai on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
3. When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, green chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
4. Add the carrots and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
5. Add the roasted ragi- semolina mixture and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Add 4 cups of hot water and cook on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the water evaporates, while stirring continuously. 7. Add the coriander, mix well and cover and keep aside for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Serve the ragi rava upma immediately.
Leave a Reply